BIG PRAIRIE

BIG PRAIRIE

BIG PRAIRIE

Big Prairie was laid out in 1871. It was the Monitor Sadiron Company that put Big Prairie on the map. There was also a Monitor Hotel and a Monitor Theater where silent movies were shown, and various other business shops and stores including a bank that is still in operation today. But with the coming of electricity, sadirons were no longer in demand and the factory in Big Prairie closed as did the hotel and theater.

Historical Towns

BIG PRAIRIE

BECK'S MILLS

Beck's Mills had its start in 1822 when the Beck family arrived in Doughty Valley. A dam was built across Doughty Creek and a sawmill was constructed. Later a four-story gristmill for making wheat flour and corn meal was...

Read More

BENTON

BENTON

Benton was laid out in 1829, and it was the first real town to develop commercially in the county. It had gristmills, a woolen mill, a factory to make windmills and spinning wheels and several distilleries where whiskey...

Read More

BERLIN

BERLIN

The village of Berlin is the oldest existing village in Holmes County. It was laid out in 1816 with 108 plots, and all plots were purchased by 1821. Gradually Berlin became a thriving village and the center of commerce for...

Read More

BIG PRAIRIE

BIG PRAIRIE

Big Prairie was laid out in 1871. It was the Monitor Sadiron Company that put Big Prairie on the map. There was also a Monitor Hotel and a Monitor Theater where silent movies were shown, and various other business shops and...

Read More

BUNKER HILL

The small community of Bunker Hill was settled in Berlin Township. A major attraction for early settlers was good soil and ample water supplied by springs that dotted the area. Farming, therefore, supported most early...

Read More

CHARM

CHARM

Charm began as a village called Stevenson around the 1860s. In 1886 the community made application for a post office. The government submitted a list of town names from which the patrons of the post office could choose. The...

Read More